Chicken with Sweet Peppers
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking: 5 minutes
Serves 4 calories per serving 235
You can prepare this light, savory dish in almost the time that it takes to cook rice, which goes perfectly with it.
4 tbsp. soy sauce
4 tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp cider vinegar
½ tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cornstarch
½ tsp salt
2/3 cup water
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
3 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced (optional)
3 whole chicken breasts skinned and boneless
3 medium-sized bell peppers
5 tbsp. cooking oil
1) In a bowl, make a sauce by mixing the soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, ginger, cornstarch, salt, water, garlic, and green onions. Set aside.
2) Cut the chicken breasts crosswise (against the grain) into ¼ inch strips. Core and seed the peppers, and cut them into ¼ in strips.
3) Heat the oil in a heavy 9 or 10 inch skillet over moderately high heat. Add the peppers, raise the heat to high, and cook, stirring with a large spoon, for 2 minutes. The peppers should be crisp-tender. Remove them to a platter.
4) Add the chicken to the skillet. Cook, stirring, over high heat for 2 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink. DO NOT OVERCOOK.
5) Return the peppers to the skillet. Stir the sauce and add it to the skillet. Cook, stirring, over high heat until the sauce thickens – about 20 seconds.
Tips: 1) You can use flank steak instead of the chicken breasts. 2) This dish can be reheated; you may have to add a few teaspoons of water to thin the sauce.